
February 16, 2026
RED FM News Desk
The RCMP say their forensic investigation at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School has been completed, marking a significant step in the aftermath of last week’s deadly shooting in the northeastern British Columbia community.
In a statement, police confirmed the crime scene has been released and the school formally turned back over to the local school district. Officers removed the yellow police tape that had surrounded the building since Tuesday’s attack.
Eighteen-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar shot and killed five students and one educator inside the school after earlier killing her mother and half-brother at the family home, according to investigators. She later died by suicide as police arrived at the school.
The shooting has left the small community reeling and prompted ongoing discussions about how, or whether, students will return to the building.
Premier David Eby has said students will not be forced to resume classes at the school, acknowledging the deep trauma caused by the violence. His remarks followed a letter from Christy Fennell, superintendent of the Peace River South School District, who told families that the expectation is students would not be returning to the school facility.
Officials have not provided a timeline for future learning arrangements, but have indicated supports for students and staff remain a priority as the community continues to mourn.
The tragedy claimed the lives of six people at the school and two at a nearby residence, making it one of the deadliest school shootings in recent Canadian history.







